If x is 10% less than y, then find the percentage by which y is more than x.
- All Questions
Step by Step Explanation:
- According to the question, x is 10% less than y.
This can be written as:
x = y - (y × )
- From the above equation, we can calculate y in terms of x. In order to do that, we must simplify the equation and rearrange it accordingly.
Thus,the equation becomes :
x = y - ,
which implies, x = y(1 - )
or, x = y( )
or, x =
or, y =
- Now, let us try to rewrite the right-hand side of the above equation as a mixed number.
y = x +
- From the above equation, we know that: "y is more than x by a factor of ".
- To convert a factor into a percentage, we need to multiply the factor by 100.
This means that the following two statements mean the same:
"y is more than x by a factor of ".
"y is more than x by percent."
- On writing the above percentage as a mixed fraction, we get:
"y is more than x by %"